Reading a short story in Swedish is a terrific way to improve your language skills once you've progressed beyond the absolute beginner level.
When you read in Swedish, instead of merely memorising endless rules, you'll gradually learn to think in Swedish, making reading, writing and even speaking easier to do.
It can be tricky to find good books in Swedish at the beginner level, so I recommend that you try my Short Stories In Swedish For Beginners.
In this article, I'll cover what you can expect when you get this short story book. And we'll go through the reasons why reading short stories is such a marvellous way to master a new language.
Why Learning Through Short Stories Is Entertaining And Effective
Have you ever even considered learning Swedish with stories?
Sounds impossible, right?
In fact, through all my years of teaching and learning languages (and I‘ve learned eight so far!) I've found that reading stories is an incredible way to learn.
It works because when you input language in a fun way, you'll find the day-to-day experience of learning much more enjoyable than struggling through a textbook. That's why learning with stories becomes a rich and fulfilling part of your day.
But, why learn with a short story in Swedish instead of other traditional study methods?
There are five reasons why stories work so well for language learning:
- Enjoyment — it's always easier to learn when you're having fun, and these stories will have you hooked right from the start.
- Context — you internalise new vocabulary and grammar because you're seeing the language in context, so you gradually understand how it's used in real life.
- Meaning — it's so much easier to understand and follow a series of relatable events in a story than trying to remember a set of unrelated facts. That's why fiction is so great for language learning because each paragraph leads you on to the next idea.
- Emotion — Stories engage you on an emotional level, making the language you read more memorable and your study time more enjoyable
- Achievement — you can't help but be drawn in by a good story. You want to keep going and see what happens next. And before you know it, you've read a whole book in Swedish!
That's the beauty of reading short stories.
They are fun and entertaining as well as educational. So you can actually enjoy your study instead of dragging yourself to the table each day.
Introducing… Short Stories In Swedish
This “Short Stories in Swedish For Beginners” book is one of a kind because it uses my unique StoryLearning® method to help you learn the language naturally.
Rather than wade through rules and practice exercises, the StoryLearning® approach helps you to absorb Swedish while reading entertaining stories at your level.
Reading at your level is crucial because to be effective, you need to enjoy the process instead of being confused by too many words that you don't understand.
This book has been written especially for students who have reached the high-beginner to low-intermediate learning levels in Swedish. That's A2-B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference.
That means you'll be reading vocabulary that is commonly used in Sweden. You'll already know enough words to help you read the unknown ones without continually running to the dictionary for help.
You can focus on enjoying reading without ever feeling overwhelmed or frustrated.
The result? Learning Swedish becomes easy and fun instead of painful and slow.
What's Included In This Short Story In Swedish Book?
Inside this book, you'll find eight stories designed to appeal to fans of science fiction, thrillers, crime, history, fantasy and more.
- Accessible grammar. You'll notice new structures, but they won't seem overwhelming because you see them in context.
- Vocabulary lists. Bolded words are included in a list at the end of each chapter, making it easy to quickly check them without interrupting your flow.
- Authentic spoken dialogues. These give you examples of conversations to improve your speaking ability as you read.
- Controlled language at your level, including the 1,000 most frequent words in Swedish, makes it easier to progress through the stories.
- Beautiful hand-drawn illustrations bring the stories to life and make the stories even more memorable.
- Enjoyable reading practice designed explicitly for the A2-B1 level so you can spend your time enjoying the story instead of burying your nose in a dictionary.
- Chapter summaries and comprehension questions to help you follow the plot and understand the stories.
To make these Swedish stories even more useful, we now have them in a high-quality new audiobook available as a separate purchase.
There's even a handy Interactive app so you can read, listen and learn all at the same time. Whether you're at home or on the go, you'll never be able to say “I don't have enough time for my Swedish study.” It's all right there in your app!
About The Author
In case you’re new here, let me introduce myself. My name is Olly Richards and I’m a language educator, author and polyglot from the UK, who speaks 8 languages.
I’ve created dozens of critically acclaimed language courses and published a best-selling series of short story books in sixteen languages.
I’ve also been featured widely in international press from the BBC to the Independent, and am a regular speaker at international language events.
What Do Readers Say About These Short Story Books?
Students from around the globe love learning with my short story books. But don’t take my word for it.
Here’s how readers describe the experience of learning with short stories:
Language Teachers Love These Short Story Books Too
As you can see, language learners around the world love learning with Short Stories in Swedish. But they’re not the only ones…
Language teachers often tell me how much they enjoy using these stories in their lessons because they make learning fun and minimise all those hours of stressful lesson prep.
Supplementary teaching materials are available to accompany these books for teachers who want quick, easy, and engaging supplementary materials for their lessons.
If you’re a teacher, click here to find out more.
Short Stories In Swedish: A Great Way To Learn Fast & Have Fun!
As you can see, reading a short story in Swedish is one of the best things you can do to improve your language skills.
And best of all… it allows you to learn the language in a fun and natural way, without memorising long lists of words and grammar rules.
So what are you waiting for?
Head on over to Amazon or your favourite local bookshop and grab your copy of my Swedish short story books now!
Click the link below to purchase your copy (available in Kindle & Paperback):